Tuesday, September 22, 2015

September 22, 2015

Summary: 
It's definitely been a week. It went normal until the earthquake on Wednesday. We were in a meeting at our ward mission leader's house when it hit. The Elders had just left because they had to run to an evening appointment and we were sitting at hs table telling the hermano about some of the people we teach. It started to shake a little. I though my companion was bouncing her leg up and down, but I looked down to see if she was and she wasn't. Then I looked down at Hermano Leon's legs to see if he was shaking his leg and he wasn't shaking either. Then the hermano looked at me all confused because I was looking around at everyone's legs. I looked up to explain to him that I thought I felt something shaking and his eyes got all big and he said, "está temblando." then it started getting strong and the hermano's wife  runs out of the kitchen screaming "earthquake" and then screaming for her son who was outside playing soccer. It kept getting stronger and I just huddled there under the door frame and watched the furniture and even the wooden floors move around.  Personally I didn't think it was that scary but my companion instantly started screaming and crying and Hermano pushed us underneath the door frame and ran to find his son. Hermana Alcantara is screaming '"oh my gosh!" and Hermano Leon's wife starts reciting really loud the Virgin Maria prayer (she's Catholic) and then I was just there in the middle of them like ... patting them and stuff trying to calm them down. It lasted a few minutes. The phones and stuff were down for a while afterward so a lot of people were worried about their family members and that they couldn't contact, but the next day everyone just seemd fine and back to normal. We've been feeling the little after-shock waves every couple hours which really scares my companion, but Chile is built to survive earthquakes.

On the 18th we had a celebration lunch with a less-active/investigator family and from then on the next two days we walked almost all day because almost nobody wanted to recieve us during the holidays. I gave a talk in church on Sunday.

Spiritual
We had a special zone fast and afterward we were in an appointment with a young investigator who has had desires to follow Christ for a long time. She just didn't want to commit to a baptismal date. She finally accepted one for the 18th of October. Pray for Monserrat!

Funny
There are always a lot of dogs running and walking around on the street here. We passed this little tiny one and I was all, "ooh how cute!" and pointed to it.Hermana  Alcantara looks over and goes "awwww!"' and approaches it and all the sudden it barks and shows these huge teeth and we both just started sprinting down the street laughing so hard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment